Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cookies--Homemade/Mixes?

I'm not sure if the title will fit this post, but its what I could think of. I am a diabetic, yes and I really shouldn't be eating cookies, but sometimes....well you know...that dang sweet tooth attacks and I can't go to sleep until I fix it.

For the past two nights, I have had this problem. So, the first night, I reached into my freezer and pulled out this "package" of "cookie dough". It was actually a package of Nestle cookie shapes that were already cut out, with icing. It was the shortbread flavor. Now I remember buying this package a couple of months ago. Since then, I have priced these packs of cookies at WalMart, Smith's, Albertson's and Food4Less. At each of these stores, basically the same cookies were priced at over $2.00, per package. Now, I know you gals are saying "Yep, that's what I pay for them."

Well, let me tell you something. I bought 2 packages of similar cookies (one shortbread, the other butter cookies, and both the Nestle brand) for $.99. Yes, each package was less than 50 cents. 2 for $.99 (99 cents). You guessed it...I bought them at my 99cent Only Store. This was their regular price. Not a special sale, not a close-out.

I have even bought a 2lb roll of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough at my 99cent Only Store. Yes, for $.99. I know I couldn't even dream of making homemade cookies for that price, can you?

Another way I satisfy my sweet tooth is at the Dollar Tree Store. They have "snack" size mixes for brownies and cookies for (you guessed it) $1.00. I know that there are sales at the major chain stores for the full size cake, cookie and brownie mixes, but as I've stated in previous posts, we are diabetics. If I bought the full sizes, we would eat them. That would not be good for either my roommate nor myself.

Stay tuned for my post regarding a new website I found...

Feel free to leave comments or suggestions for me!

Shop Smarter and Save

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband is diabetic. I make master mixes for cookies and quick bread using whole wheat flour and natural sugars. (Raw, honey, etc.)

While not quite as cheap as your find, it is cheaper than most pre-packaged, healthier, and still "dose controlled."

Kim

http://mrshoppes.bravejournal.com/